Pages

Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Self-hypnosis & Alpha brain waves

One of my favorite techniques in learning something new is self-hypnosis. I bet you've already heard about how much hypnosis helps people overcome addictions, achieve their goals etc. But what if we could use it in order to learn foreign languages?






Hypnosis is mostly based on relaxation of the mind and body, which helps our brain generate alpha brain waves. Alpha brain waves are known to heighten your imagination, memory, learning and concentration.  It is the gateway to your subconscious, which is like a huge memory bank. But not any kind of memory, it stores information permanently. This way you learn it once and for all, and you can make use of this new knowledge much easier. So how do we access Alpha brain waves?
First of all, you need to remember that the harder you try to achieve it, the less possibilities you have. You just need to relax and make sure that nothing distracts you. Wear some comfortable clothes, sit (don’t lie down, because it is very possible that you fall asleep during the process, which might be bad if you have plans to do later) in a relaxing position and clear your mind from all of your thoughts, just like meditation. Count from 1 to 10 and once you feel fully relaxed, start repeating the information you want to memorise. It is very effective in learning the numbers, verbs conjugation etc. After 30 minutes (or as much as it takes, depending on the amount of information you want to memorise) awake yourself slowly by counting from 10 to 1. Personally, I prefer doing that when I’m going to sleep. I just repeat, for example the numbers in French from 1 to 50, each time I repeat, I try to be more relaxed so that my brain will generate more Alpha waves. By doing so, I’m closer and closer to the dreaming state where the subconscious is activated. When in the subconscious the information is stored permanently, so the next time you want to use this new knowledge, all you have to do is relax and it will come to your mind. The next day I repeat the following numbers for example from 50 to 100. It may not work right from the start, but be sure to give a couple more tries.

Likewise, you can use your mp3 player or a mobile phone and listen to audio books or conversations in the language you are trying to learn.
But be careful, you need to be fully relaxed! When I was studying for history class this way, I accidentally combined memorising with anxiousness about my exam. So for the next few days I was waking up stressed in the middle of the night, repeating how Venizelos was trying to solve the economical problem back in the days… 

1 comment: